Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:47:27 +0200
From:      Oliver Braun <obraun@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Three-level ports (Re: RFC: patch for bsd.port.mk to use ${PORTSDIR}/MOVED)

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

* Will Andrews <will@csociety.org> [2003-08-17 18:29 -0700]:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:38:50AM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 03:10:23PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > [*] e.g. addressing some key technical issues like the fact that all
> > > the repo-copies needed to move ports around would more than double the
> > > size of the ports CVS repository

> > You should use the mv(1) command instead of the cp(1) command,
> > specially for this. It doesn't matter for history, history is in
> > the files, not in the directories.

> Unless I'm mistaken, this would not work as cvs checkouts would
> get confused and bomb when they see that there's no ,v file for a
> given checkout file...

It works for cvs updates! Try it with a local repo. I have done a lot
of restructuring this way. You simply get:

  cvs server: file is no longer in the repository

With checkout you simply get:

  cvs server: cannot find module `module' - ignored
  cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

I am not sure about cvsup, but I assume it works, too.
If not, it is a missing feature.

Regards,
         Olli
--=20