Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:45:16 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@ilion.eu.org>
Cc:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bit OS?

Patryk Zadarnowski wrote:

> You're being just plain silly.  It takes about 5 minutes with the
> manuals to realize just how little AXP and IA-64 have in common: one
> is a classic superscalar out-of-order design, the other is just about
> the opposite: a typical explicit-ILP architecture. What makes IA-64
> great is the 8 years of statistical analysis of real-life software the
> architecture design team spent fine-tuning the instruction set. What
> makes AXP great is the clock rates Digital/Compaq manages to pump into
> the beasts ;)

What makes IA-64 great is the fact that it has not been deployed, so
Intel can say whatever it pleases them.

If you got REAL LIFE NUMBERS, based on REAL LIFE PERFORMANCE, then we
can talk. Let's see how it does Quake, then we can talk.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."