Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:48:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'Greg Lewis'" <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: JCK License implications (was: State of Server-Side Java)

> > Well, it might be even worse than that.  Its not clear to me
> > that I'll still be able to release patchsets once we merge a
> > newer version of the JDK 1.2.2 source code as that code will
> > have been obtained under the same licensing conditions as the
> > JCK.
>
> That merger had better give you a pretty great advantage, to make up
> for the legal lock-out.

At this point, *I'm* not worried about releasing patchkits on the
'released' bits.  The linux patches contained newer bits, so I don't see
the problem.

> > I'm considering how this can be avoided while still making
> > progress on a binary release.  I really don't want to lose
> > the possibility of things like Fuyuhiko-san's native thread
> > patches happening in the future.
> >
> Perhaps you could track two patchsets. One for Sun's newer code, and one for
> Sun's public release.

See above.

> Alternately, perhaps we could tell Sun that this is a blocking problem
> for a community effort, and ask them to release the newer code under
> SCSL.

Given that we *just* got access to the bits, I'd really rather not start
throwing our weight around.  We're a pretty small entity to try and
guilting Sun into behaving like we'd like them.

> After all, it is yesterday's technology, with 1.3 on the market. :-)

1.3 isn't even in a full release, so I wouldn't call it 'on the
market'.  It's more like in beta-test, sort of like the patches. :)

Nate