Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:48:18 -0700
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au
Subject:   Re: P-II vs K6-2

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 10:09:12AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <199903160902.KAA23875@cicero1.cybercity.dk>, "Rudy Gireyev" w=
rites:
>>> In message <99Mar16.183042est.40331@border.alcanet.com.au>, Peter Jerem=
y writes
>>> :

>>Then surely you've looked at buying Celerons first, right? :-)
>=20
> No, they're almost twice as expensive for the same performance...

Not the same performance, nor are they twice as expensive (almost or
not)...

Performance wise, Celeron runs its cache at full CPU speed--not the Bus
Speed (usually around 100Mhz now).  Plus you can trivially overclock
it to 467Mhz (this is what I've done).  The Intel BX motherboard costs
a mighty $30 more on the average than the VIA or Alladin equivalent
boards (I wont go into the arguments why it is better).  The CPU costs
are pretty much exactly the same (K6-2/333 is the same as a Celeron
333 on the site I just checked).

So for $30 more you can get an Intel chipset, run the Celeron
overclocked at whatever you want, with full cache speed (to whatever
you overclock).  That is about $230<intel/celeron> vs $200<alt/k6>.
The Celeron may have less cache overall, but its running anywhere
from 3 to nearly 5 times faster than the K6 would be.

Actually, I will comment on performance.  I'm a part owner of a local
PC chop shop.  We repair computers all over (businesses primarily),
and based simply off our experience we will never install anything but
Intel chipsets.  The others are problematic, drivers are buggy and in
the long run we have had too many problems with them.  I cannot back
this up with anything other than pure experience.  The systems which
are intel based run cleaner and better than those which are not.  This
is based on wintel machines.

I personally would love to see somebody bump the intel monpoly, but
currently intel holds the top position in quality and performance.
K6-3 does help quite a bit with this, and the K7 (if it turns out like
they are saying) probably WILL do it.  But for now, you have the
celeron.

So my suggestion?  Get an ASUS P2B with a Celeron 300A (if you still
can) and overclock it to 467Mhz.  Its what I've done at home, it rocks,
I love it, and will probably be building another system just like it
for my development box.

-Brandon

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6--