Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:55:12 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS client zeroing out blocks on write?

In the last episode (Dec 06), Matthew Dillon said:
> Dan, I know this may be placing an undue burden on you, but can you
> try installing a 3.x snapshot to see if the bug exists there?  If the
> bug exists in 3.x then I'll know that it isn't due to changes I've
> made in 4.x (or at least not likely due to those changes).  If the
> bug does not exist then it gives me a place to start looking.

I don't have a spare machine at the moment to install 3.3 onto at the
moment, but will keep an eye out for one.

> The weird thing is that we are talking about a single process here,
> and I would expect this type of bug to occur with multiple contending
> processes.  If it had just been an NFSv3 mount I would have suspected
> the commit rpc code, but if it is occuring on NFSv2 as well it kinda
> sounds like a preexisting bug that has just been brought out into the
> light due to changes in the way NFS works (major NFS performance
> improvements have been made in -current, for example, that allow NFS
> to saturate the network more easily).

I am going to have to retract my earlier NFSv2 statement;  I can't for
the life of me reproduce the glitch over any v2 mount now.  The
corrupted file I saw across a v2 mount must have been bad to start
with.  I can definitely reproduce it over an NFSv3 mount to a FreeBSD,
Solaris, or Dec Unix server.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com