Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2004 00:44:04 -0500
From:      "Steve Ireland" <stevei@black-star.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: web server

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blain M Gatterdam" <onesmartidiot@wideopenwest.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 22:09
Subject: web server

> Hello,
>

>             Is it possible to turn my pc into a web server? I would
like to
> make it so that certain people can remotely access my computer and
edit the
> web-page (s). is this possible or can I do something like it? If so,
im a
> newbie so I would need step by step information on how to achieve
this. I am
> running an AMD athlon xp 2500+ on an asus a7n8x motherboard with 256mb
of
> ddr ram and a geforce4 graphics accelerator, with a 80gig western
digital
> partitioned to 20 gigs for my FreeBSD.. Thank you!

Hello,

Certainly you can do that! Although, if you're doing it over the
Internet from a non-business connection, it would depend on your ISP's
AUP/TOS ;-).
You don't mention which server you're thinking of running. Apache is the
most common and is very easy to learn. Check out
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/ for the tried and true 1.3.x branch or
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ for the "new technology" branch.
Whichever server you decide to use, think, "Security, security,
security." You wouldn't want to discover that the Visigoths left a turd
in your punchbowl when you weren't looking.

Regards,

Steve