Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:03:48 +0100
From:      Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating older 7.0 to newer sources, local buildworld problems

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
>> I'm having troubles updating my buildworld and i've had troubles
>> narrowing it down on google.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> Is there any way i could update the system in the state it is now?
>> (Preferably without reinstalling the entire system from scratch.)
>>
>> PS. I've heard about freebsd-update but never got it to work (see below)
>
> I have never used freebsd-update so I can't comment there.  I think
> that's a binary update though.  You are trying to build from source.
>
> I would use cvsup to update my source tree to 7.0-RELEASE.  Since your
> initial sources are before Sep 19, they are not 7.0-RELEASE.  Read about
> cvsup in the handbook.  Look at the example files in
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  The I would run 'make clean' and 'make
> buildworld' all over again.
>
> Except for creating a newfs and tweaking files in /etc, building the
> world is pretty much installing the entire system.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
>
> Be careful about the cvs tag that you use.  RELENG_7_0_0_RELEASE is what
> you will eventually want.  If that tag has not yet been set by releng@,
> then you will delete your sources.  I recommend '-d 20' with cvsup to
> protect yourself from accidental deletions.  RELENG_7 is probably what
> you want until 7.0 is actually released.

Thank you, i appreciate your time.
At the bottom of the (messy) mail i sent there was the error i get from
building sources. I think it's the same error, no matter what version of
sources i download.
Could it have any relations to any compiler version upgrades done in 7.0
(not by me but by freebsd project)?

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal