Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:05:15 -0400
From:      "PSI, Mike Smith" <mlsmith@mitre.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount -u strangeness

Hey all,

Made a mistake and ran across what may be a bug in mount but am not
sure. Now this happened on FreeBSD 3.2 (no comments please, I've already
given the powers that be plenty of comments about this).

Our password files became corrupted so we entered single user mode to
try to repair the situation. But alas, the filesystem booted to read
only (not the problem).

To be able to access the necessary files, we did a

fsck -p
mount -u /

It worked! The filesystem was now read/write. But the problem was, we
intended to do "mount -u -w /". Should "mount -u /" result in a
read/write filesystem from a mounted read only? Would this happen if you
tried to change any other attribute with -u?

It may be the correct operation, but if it isn't, having a filesystem
change unknowingly (unintentionally) from read only to read/write could
be a bit dangerous I would think.

Any thoughts, remembering that this is 3.2 and thus may be ancient
history.

(not THE) Mike Smith