Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:19:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Tom Torrance at home <tom@tomqnx.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE: nrsa0 T4000 doesn't honor "no rewind"? SCSI errs in logs

> I mentioned this because a half-written tape is worse than useless
> (fit only for the scratch bin).  It might have some value if there
> were a mechanism to close it off in some way.
>
> Definitely EOM should not trigger this routine. TM, trailer labels and TMs
> have to be written, possibly following a short erase over the
> reflective spot area.

EOM by itself doesn't trigger a 'loss of position'. However, FreeBSD (and
NetBSD) insist on calling EOM (really 'early warning') an error and EIO
has to be propagated back to the application.

There was a lot of discussion about this some months back. The consensus
(which I didn't agree with) was that EIO should still be propagated at
early warning (the EOM bit in Sense Data- not the VOLUME OVERFLOW which is
hard physical EOT) rather than using a (possibly deferred) residual count
to an I/O operation to provide the signification.

-matt