Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:37:29 +0100
From:      "Riccardo Giuntoli" <taglio@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD pam.d proftpd problem

Hi there,

i use proftpd as my ftp solution in other three production servers with no
problem. Last week we buy out fourth server, and i started to install and
configure FreeBSD as usual. After upgrade the sources and the ports i've
got:

[taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(106): uname -a
FreeBSD tsunami.chroot.eu 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Fri Nov
9 12:15:54 EST 2007     taglio@tsunami.chroot.eu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TSUNAMI
i386
[taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(107):

And i've installed proftpd:

[taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(107): proftpd -v
 - ProFTPD Version 1.3.1
[taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(108):

For an initial simple configuration with no vhosts i've edited
/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf like this:

[taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(110): cat proftpd.conf
ServerName                      "Chroot tsunami hosting"
ServerType                      standalone
DefaultServer                   on
ScoreboardFile                  /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard
Port                            21
Umask                           022
MaxInstances                    30
User                            nobody
Group                           nogroup
DefaultRoot ~/www
AllowOverwrite          on
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
  DenyAll
</Limit>
TimeoutIdle 0
TimeoutLinger 0
TimeoutLogin 0
TimeoutNoTransfer 0
TimeoutSession 0
TimeoutStalled 0
[taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(111):

and in /etc/pam.d/ftpd i've got this:

[taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(111): cat /etc/pam.d/ftpd
ftpd auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
ftpd account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
ftpd session required    pam_permit.so
[taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(112):

After checking syntax and have started the proftpd daemon i've got this
problem :

[taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(112): ftp localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.chroot.eu.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
ftp>

That i've got also on external interfaces.

Can someone help me with some ideas?

Thank you in advance, best regards, Riccardo Giuntoli

--
Name: Riccardo Giuntoli
Email: taglio@gmail.com