Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 00:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <kellers@njit.edu>
Subject:   Re: NFS/NIS... arg!

Mathew....

Thanks for the response: very informative and full of good news that
NFS/NIS might not be the culprit in my network sluggishness.

Both the NIS master and slave servers are Dell Poweredge 2500's with 1 gig
of Ram and dual 1 GHZ processors;  the NFS server is the master NIS server
--again, 2 processors, 1 GHZ , one gig of RAM.  The NIS master/NFS server
(Intel EtherExpress 10/100 NIC) is attached to a 100MBs switched port --IP
address xxx.xxx.192.182, the slave server (same hardware) has an IP addres
of xxx.xxx.198.13.  The lab workstations all have IP addresses in the
xxx.xxx.220.0/24 range.  The lab workstations are all Dell Poweredge
1300/1400 machines with 800Mhz single processors and 256MB of RAM.

I suppose something might be amiss in the network topology; I'll have to
investigate, further.

Thanks again.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT