Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2020 16:59:27 -0700
From:      Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
To:        Lars Liedtke <liedtke@punkt.de>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slowing network speed

ping is not a good indicate of network speed since most ping packets are
small.  Network performance depends on many issue.  Most notably the total
amount of data being transmitted, what TCP congestion algorithm is in
effect, how much kernel buffer space, etc.

You can increase the size of the ping packet using the '-s' option, or use
the ping sweep options (-G <maxsize> -g <minsize>) etc.  See ping(8).

Interface packet status can be retrieved using 'netstat -I <interface>'
Other stats can be pulled using 'netstat -4 -x' (for IPv4 packet buffer
using, delayed acks, retransmissions, etc).  See netstat(8).

Traceroute is only semi-useful as it relies on ICMP error response which
are throttled by many routers.

iperf requires that you have a remote port you can talk to to send and
receive traffic.

Good luck,

Patrick