Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 09:43:45 -0400
From:      Ian Cartwright <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Hardware (E-mail)" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SIIG Serial Card and sio

Hello all,

I have a question about a SIIG I/O Expander 4S card I recently inherited. I
installed it in my dedicated Internet router box (a Compaq Deskpro 4/66 with
an external USR I-Modem, running FreeBSD 3.4 with "flags 0x20000" compiled
into the kernel "sio" lines). I have the first port on the SIIG card set pro
COM1 (port 3f8, IRQ 4) and the second port is disabled.

Now comes the question part: Every time I try setting the card to 230400
baud the modem won't hook up through ppp. If i use minicom (a terminal
program) to talk to the modem at 230400 the modem thinks i am at 19200. If I
set minicom for 115200 (leaving the SIIG card at 230400) then the modem
thinks I am at 230400!?! That would be fine with me if ppp worked like this
but if I set ppp for 115200 and leave the SIIG card at 230400 the modem
won't dial, or it won't detect carrier (take your pick).

I have trolled the newsgroups and mailing lists looking for answers, and it
looks like some of you out there are using this card, but I haven't been
able to find anything specific to my problem. Any thoughts?

Ian Cartwright
Senior Engineer
Raymond James & Associates
icartwright@it.rjf.com