Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:01:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
To:        HOFER Klemens <klemens.hofer@aon.at>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: live BSD

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, HOFER Klemens wrote:

> hi,
> I am new to FreeBSD. Actually I am using Linux.
> There=B4s a good Live Linux System called "Knoppix" which only runs from =
CDROM and so you could become familiar with the system without having to in=
stall it on your Harddisk.
> Is there something similar available under FreeBSD?

Well, there are some projects that do similar things, like
www.freesbie.org, and the german freeX Mag also has done a similar CD.
(In the book: FreeBSD 5 it is included, www.cul.de)

But the best way to check out how it works is always
first-hand-experience, I always used a spare drive (needs to only have 3
GB) to install, also with X11.

Knoppix is way better maintained than those FreeBSD-based Live systems,
especially when it comes to X11 apps.

Just my 0.02 EUR
Olaf

--=20
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)