Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:37:36 -0400
From:      Daniel Tso <dan@tsolab.org>
To:        "Ronald 'Ko' Klop" <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
Cc:        Paul Horechuk <phorechuk@docucom.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X won't start

> > Thanks for a couple of previous suggestions, but I still have the same
> > problem. I checked the symbolic link for X and it appeared correct, except
> > for the group access:
> >
> > lrwxrwxr-x   1 root     12000       24 May 28 20:58 /usr/X11R6/bin/X ->
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64*
> >

> A link doesn't have (used) permissions. You must look to the permissions
> of the file where the link points to.
>
> Think about it. If the permissions of the link matter, everybody can make
> a link to every program and give himself the permissions he/she likes.

I've never understood this... why shouldn't a useful meaning be given to
the permission modes of a symbolic link ?

It could be treated like a directory -- indeed a symlink is kinda like a
directory with only one entry: r could mean contents readable, w
writable
(alterable in situ, w permission in directory required for unlinking),
and
x for access (usable to dereference to target).

Why shouldn't it be possible to prevent the public from using a symlink
or
seeing where it points to ?