Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:53:45 -0800
From:      "Server Admin" <dump@sherline.com>
To:        <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

> If the professor in question
> is a programmer, and if he is really good, ask him if Microsoft has ever
> offered him a job.

As to this, and your statement about why Dr. McKusick doesn't work for
Microsoft (besides the fact that he seems happy doing what he's doing), I
don't think Microsoft is looking for as many Ph.Ds, as they are looking for
B.S. and M.S. to do the grunt work of turning out the code.  So asking why a
professor hasn't been offered a job at Microsoft doesn't really apply to
much.

>   Many times you can turn a situation around to prove a point to
> otherwise ignorant people, example from today at work, the monopoly
> thing came up, and a coworker said ``well, thats biz, to either buy out
> a company and take their clients, or to scheme up some sort of company
> team effort to put another company out of biz is perfectly fair play''
> and I said, reverse the situation, you would not like it, if another
> company sprung up down the street, and then bought us out, which may
> cost you that job you value.  Maybe it is how things work, but I find it
> very unfair...

That's capitalism.  "Fair" is communism.  I don't want to start a big
argument over MS business practices, because they did break the law, but it
seems to me that crushing the competition isn't a sad thing, like it's some
kind of murder of ideas, it's a success of business.  Yes, they should be
punished for breaking the law, and they are finally owning up to some of the
things they did, but you can't hate them for being successful and not
playing "fair," if your definition of fair involves not putting other people
out of business.

> I also found it very aggrovating last week when I called IBM to purhcase
> a laptop and they refused to ship a laptop with either linux or a
> formatted harddrive!  It had to come with WindowsXP, and I replied very
> friendly ``I do not want XP, I want to buy a computer, I want my choice
> as a customer, can you provide me with my choice?'' and I got smacked
> with a very unfortunate no.  I find that wrong, I find it ignorant, in
> America we are apperently to have the freedom of choice, if I do not
> want to pay that $100 (somewhere around there) for software that has no
> real use to me, why should I?
>

> Actually no, the point i'll make here is (I will not let him tell me
> what to eat and I will not let people tell me that I must use Microsoft)

Exactly, but on the same token, don't let other people tell you that you
must not use Microsoft, because that's the same thing.  If you're going to
decide for yourself, more power to you.  But don't be selective about which
things you're not going to "lemming."  I'm not saying you are, just making a
point.

>   My friends are mostly Linux users, but you don't see me using Linux
> (at least if you knew me in person)...  I mean, sure, i'll go in with a
> bit of ms bashing because I don't like this, or that, but I won't let
> someone tell me what software to use.  Just like my eating habits,
> people think i'm wierd because I don't eat meat, whats wrong with not
> eating meat?  People do it all over the world, I am this way because its
> my choice.  Maybe I should have retyped this to give more of an idea
> about my point, but I did not, and apologise that it did not come out to
> right.  You are right (now that I reread that) I honestly should have
> said that told me a few times Linux is better... I don't like Linux, its
> my personal opinion, I don't like Microsoft, thats my personal opinion.
>   And i'm straying off topic here, so i'll shut up ;)

> I don't see logic...  How many people partake in these ``contests''?  I
> really want to know.  Does it include anyone who attends the university,
> what about graduates?  What about people who did graduate already from
> say, last year?  What about people who are still a senior in high
> school, but have been programming since their 9th grade year (my friend
> could, it is possible)?  Surely this contest would be limited as only to
> be availible to only a few individuals...  Although, I've never seen one
> of these so I am not really sure if they let anyone who wants to try
> take a turn...

Well, actually programming contests are pretty old school in computer
science.  There's certainly nothing wrong with having them.  Check out
www.topcoder.com, they run contests all the time.  When I was in high
school, our teacher was entering us in those contests too.  For most of
them, anyone can participate if they have some kind of organization, high
school, or university.  Quite a few high schools, universities, and
corporations enter programming contests.  It's very fun.

> I've used XP a little bit, maybe for complete newbies on windows, but not
for me...

You're just letting the interface fool you.  Turn all that theme crap off.
Of the Windows out there, XP is pretty much the best, except for maybe 2000.
I use 2000 on my desktop at home, but XP on my laptop for it's awesome
native 802.11b support.  At least use 2k though.

> I still cannot understand how, last time I installed it on a system,
> that their were avoer 20mb of updates!

You ever measure the size of your cvsups ?  Nothing wrong with updates.
People accuse MS of not fixing their bugs, then when they do, it's too much.
:)