Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:58:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        martin@rumolt.teuto.de (Martin Husemann)
Cc:        bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preparations for BSD/OS port

Martin Husemann wrote:

> Sometime ago we had a common include file for all the 16.3 based cards which
> used some generic macros to create the individual driver functions. Don't know
> why it was removed...

I removed it because - IMHO - that made the code more unreadable and removed
more obviousness from it and i didn't and don't like that. Functions are
functions and i simply don't like them to be replaced by macros generating
functions included from .h-files.

For me, the top priority is readability, second maintainability, then comes
functionality, portability and speed.

> I think a real worth amount of cleanup would happen if we would unify the
> parameters passed to the card specific drivers. The FreeBSD port should
> simply adopt the much more general sheme used for NetBSD now. We could try
> to make some compatibility no-op "bus_space" macros and may be done with
> all the #ifdef's in that part - besides probe and attach, due to the
> semantic differences there.

As long as the things above apply this is fine for me.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
  A duck is like a bicycle because they both have two wheels except the duck