Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:51:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Steve Carter <scarter@pobox.com>
Cc:        stanislav shalunov <shalunov@internet2.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound on IBM ThinkPad 600x 26455fu

> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:38:13 -0700
> From: Steve Carter <scarter@pobox.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Install 4.1-RELEASE (the Crystal Audio chips in the Thinkpads are not
> supported under 3.x AFAIK) and use the following kernel options:
>
> options         PNPBIOS
> device          csa0
> device          pcm
>
> It works dandy ...

I suspect that it does, but the csa driver is totally unneeded. The pcm
driver is the one that does the job and that's all that is required.
(Of course, the cost is just a bit of memory and kernel size.)

The other requirement is ./MAKEDEV sndX, where 'X' is the number of the
pcm interface from the boot. You can check dmesg to find out which one
to use.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)