Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:48:16 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: partitioning server with 2 hard drives

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com> wrote=
:

> Good day/Evening for all FreeBSDers =F0=9F=99=82
>
>  I want to install latest FreeBSD for a business server
>  erver with the following specification. :
>  Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 3.5GHz
> Hardware RAID Controller 1 GB Cache with BBU
> 16 GB DDR4 RAM - Total
> 1 TB 7200 SATA
> 1 TB 7200 SATA
>
> I understand its advised to create it in this order and SWAP double (or
> triple) of the RAM (is 50 GB ok) ?
> /
> swap
> var
> /tmp
> /usr

The swap advice is obsolete and deprecated.  With only two drives, you'll
have to decide whether to RAID1 or not.

I'm a firm believer that any world-writable directory ( /tmp, /var/tmp )
should be a separate filesystem w/ rw,noexec,nosuid. I think that an 8GB
swap partition on each drive would be more than enough.  You can
extrapolate from this.

--=20

"Well," Brahm=C4=81 said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is =
no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mah=C4=81bh=C4=81rata