Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:39:11 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        mrcpu@schizo.cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind 4.9.5-P1 on FreeBSD going bonkers...

As Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> This is a serious problem, since my squid server won't use any
> non-authoritative answers from the DNS, and so several thousand
> customers can't access the web.

I would consider this behaviour broken.  It defeats the idea of the
DNS cache.  I haven't observed it on our version of squid.

> Restarting named *always* fixes it.

Of course, since it always blows the DNS cache.  Basically, a non-
authoritative answer means nothing more than it's an answer not from a
primary or secondary server, but out of the DNS cache of some other
server (your own one, or a DNS server upstream if you're using the
`forwarders' feature).

--
cheers, J"org