Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:49:30 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        Laurence Mayer <laurence@istraresearch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syslogd - Different Files

Laurence Mayer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the last couple of days I have been trying to get syslogd to log
> messages received from remote hosts to different files.
>
> I have read the man pages:
>
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=syslog.conf&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE>;
>

> However it is very confusing what exactly to add to the syslog.conf
> file. I have tried numerous variations but still no success.
>
> Could someone please tell me or
> send an example of their syslog.conf file showing how this is done.

Granted that there is likely more than one way to do it, heres how I do
it (in the servers syslogd.conf):

local6.*                                        /var/log/lanx.log
local7.*                                        /var/log/fortigate.log
mail.debug                                      /var/log/barracuda.log

...each log file represents a different remote host delivering the log
data. So, on lanx.domain.com, I point the syslog service to the IP of
the server, and tell it to use local6 as the facility.

I then start syslogd on the server as such:

/usr/sbin/syslogd -a 208.70.104.202/32:514 -a 208.70.104.205/32:514 \
-a 208.70.104.1/32:514 -f /etc/syslogd.conf

Steve