Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:31:32 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Artem Kazakov <kazakov@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless boot /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ scripts do not run, why?

--7qSK/uQB79J36Y4o

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:23:23AM +0900, Artem Kazakov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>=20
> I'm using 6-stable on 4 amd64 machines. One of them has FreeBSD on its
> local hard drive and others are booted via network with PXE.
> But I encounter that /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* are not executed during the
> boot process?
> Is there some kind of option to change this?
> Or may be I misconfigured something ?

If you boot diskless and /usr or /usr/local is a seperate NFS mount you
must adjust the value of the rc.conf(5) variable early_late_divider for
your scripts to be processed.  See the rc.conf manpage for details.

> Also, I do  not see any messages on console after kernel is loaded into=
=20
> memory.
> The next thing I see is login: prompt. How to turn on boot messages
> for network booted machines.
>=20
> I have to say that I use this loader.rc for network boot:
> load /boot/kernel/kernel
> echo \007\007
> set console=3D"vidconsole"
> autoboot

Do you by chance have a /boot.config?  It sounds like your system is
probably running on a serial console.

-- Brooks

--7qSK/uQB79J36Y4o

--7qSK/uQB79J36Y4o--