Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 15:32:03 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java port behavior ideas

We're starting to get a number of ports that consist simply of .jar
files. Each one is currently taking a different approach to how they are
installed and run and stuff.

I'd like to suggest some additional standards and port plumbing to
handle this.

1. 'javavm' should take a flag that will do for "old" JREs what the -jar
flag does. Perhaps this should be a new script in the javavmwrapper port
called 'runjar' or something like that. Ideally, IMHO, 'javavm -jar
[jarfile]' should always be sufficient regardless of what JRE is in use.
Of course, I leave it to the javavmwrapper maintainer(s) to actually do
this. :-)

2. .jar files should, IMHO, go in a common spot. ${PREFIX}/share/java
seems quite reasonable.

3. IS_JAR=yes would be a nice short-hand for having a RUN_DEPENDS of
javavmwrapper and a JRE and NO_BUILD=yes.

4. Most ambitously, it's conceivable that a method could be devised to
automatically make links from a javavmwrapper helper script to
${PREFIX}/bin/jarname. The helper script would be argv[0] aware and
would do the equivalent of 'javavm -jar ${PREFIX}/share/java/$0.jar'.
This could be used in port Makefiles in a manner similar to MANn= lines.

Just some ideas to kick around.