Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 09:16:18 +0200
From:      Thomas Seidmann <tseidmann@SIMULTAN.CH>
To:        sworkman@nidlink.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just a question

Shawn Workman wrote:
> >From the FreeBSD host.
>
> > Basically, you should run 'natd -interface fxp1', since fxp1 is the
> > public interface. Od course fxp1 has got to have a valid IP address. You
> > should provide more details in order to get help. I can assure you NAT
> > works perfectly in both -stable and -current.
>
> I was running NAT on fxp1 and it had a valid address.  As soon as I ran
> natd -interface fxp1
> I could no longer access the Internet..

OK, in this case the ipfw rules must be missing. Be sure they look like
this (obtained with 'ipfw l'):

00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300 divert 8668 ip from any to any via fxp1
65000 allow ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

The numbers can be different, and rule 65000 can be replaced by more
specific firewall rules.

> another question, Does natd start at boot?

Yes, if you specify in rc.conf the following:

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp1"

Regards,
Thomas