Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2014 14:10:43 +0400
From:      Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libvirt and rebooting of a bhyve VM

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

  Allan Jude wrote:

> On 2014-08-19 11:50, John Nielsen wrote:
> > On Aug 19, 2014, at 9:40 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@FreeBSD.org> wrot=
e:
> >=20

> >> Hi Craig,
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get the reboot working. Moreover, I
> >> get the same behaviour when starting bhyve manually -- when I do a
> >> reboot, bhyve(8) exits as soon as the system is ready to restart.
> >>
> >> So looks like that's a default bhyve behaviour or I'm missing somethin=
g?
> >=20
> > Wasn't changing this the intention of r267216 (MFCed as r270071)?
> >=20
> > Roman, was your 10-STABLE built after that revision?
> >=20
> > JN
> >=20
eebsd.org"
> >=20
>=20
> Yes, this revision adds the ability to 'reboot'. This does not exit
> bhyve at all, so there is no exit level
>=20
> You can 'reboot' a bhyve externally using:
> bhyvectl --force-reset --vm=3Dxxx
>=20
> or force a poweroff with: bhyvectl --force-reset --vm=3Dxxx
>=20
> SIGTERM simulates an ACPI shutdown
>=20
>=20
> the bhyvectl --destroy is to clean up, the instance remains even after a
> clean shutdown. In the past, it had to be destroyed and recreated to
> start the VM again, although now with reboot support, that may not be
> required.

I have updated to 10-STABLE that includes commit r270071.

I can see bhyveload has --force-reset flag.

However, when I boot a VM and do 'reboot' there, bhyve(8) exits with
exit code 0.=20

The same happens when I do bhyvectl --force-reset.=20

Any ideas how to debug why bhyve(8) exits in this case?

Roman Bogorodskiy

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N--