Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:49:33 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why can't upgrades be simpler?

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 07:38:30AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:38:50 -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 11:49:56PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >> As I considering giving up on upgrading a box from 3.4 Stable to
> >> 4.X I wonder why can't upgrades be made more gradual for those
> >> of us  following stable?
> >
> >If you want to do it the simplest way, do a binary upgrade (the
> >smallest binary distribution only) then do the make-world.
>
> Are there instructions anywhere on how to do this?
> This weekend I am going to start  from scratch this particular
> troubled box, but in the future this may be something I may be
> willing to try.

I just installed from scratch to 4.0-STABLE on a box last week.

  1) Get 4.0-RELEASE kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.

  2) Booted, sliced, and partitioned drive.

  3) Installed the minimal binary distribution.

  4) Installed CVSup package.

  5) Booted fresh system.

  6) CVSup'ed 4.x-STABLE.

  7) Make custom kernel config.

  8) cd /usr/src && make world

  9) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && config KERNEL &&
     cd ../../compile/KERNEL && make depend all install

 10) CVSup ports. Go nuts installing my "base" ports.

Now doing an upgrade, (2), (4), and (10) are not needed. (6) may or
may not depending on whether you already grabbed the source.