Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 1998 00:38:35 +0900
From:      Atsuo Kobayshi <HGH02351@nifty.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de
Subject:   Re: SMP and celerons?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 13:58:12 +0200 (CEST)

> Gregory Sutter wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
>  > On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 03:04:54PM +0000, Mark Turpin wrote:
>  > > On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Alexander Langer wrote:
>  > > > Yes, but they work with such a slot1 adapter which helps the Ce=
leron
>  > > > by doing the required stuff (afaik)
>  > > =

>  > > 	The celerons have the necessary pins to support multi-processing=
,
>  > > but intel lists them as reserved in the data sheets.  I do know t=
hat MSI
>  > > (MicroStar) has released a PPGA->Slot1 converter with a jumper th=
at
>  > > connects the pins.  All you have to do is use two PPGA celerons a=
nd two of
>  > > these converters and it works.   There is some more information
>  > > available(part numbers and a picture) at http://www.cpu-central.c=
om/
>  > =

>  > An acquaintance of mine who is a former member of the Celeron
>  > development team said that the Celerons can do SMP, but there is a =
bug
>  > that couldn't be fixed (in the time they had, without breaking othe=
>  > test cycles), so they shouldn't be trusted for that.  I have no fur=
ther
>  > details on the bug at this time.
> =

> Please excuse me, but I'm inclined to believe that that claim
> is a typical marketing statement of intel, and not the truth.
> It's not a secret that intel tries to make their customers
> believe that the Celeron is inferior and more low-end than it
> actually is -- after all, they want to sell Pentium-IIs, too.
> =

> According to intel, the Celeron is only half as good as the
> Pentium-II.  But in reality, it is almost as good, and for many
> applications you simply cannot see any difference at all.
> See the articles and reviews at www.{cpu-central,tomshardware,
> bxboards,stormlabs,...}.com.  Even the difference in the FSB
> clock (66 vs 100 MHz) doesn't make that much of a difference
> in performance, as intel would like us to believe.
> =

> The Celeron is based on exactly the same core as the Pentium-II
> (the only difference being that it has 128 Kb L2-cache on-die,
> except for the -300 and older models, and only 66 Mhz FSB).
> So if the Celeron had a bug in its SMP support, the same bug
> should be present in regular Pentium-II processors.
> =

> Regards
>    Oliver
> =

> -- =

> Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
> (Info: finger userinfo:olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de)
> =

> "In jedem St=FCck Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
> [...]

My FreeBSD BOX is Celeron SMP system, and it is very table.

  M/B;EPOX KP6-BS + PPGA Cleleron 300AMHz + MS-6905Dual BUS converter
  FSB 100MHz(CPU 450MHz);over clocking

But, some hardware tunings(Vcore setting, heat problem..). must be done =
get stablity.
 See the pointer.
  http://www.kikumaru.com/
  (Mainly Japanese but Englush Bord is abailable there)
-----
 Kobayashi