Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:22:05 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Josh Benton <josh@corp.wac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 port problems

Hi,

this belongs on -questions.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 12:13:30PM -0800, Josh Benton wrote:
> I am having problems getting the lastest XFree86-4 port to run. It
> builds/installs fine, but I am not able to run 'X -configure' or 'startx'. I
> have a Dell OptiPlex GX110 with an i810 card. I have re-compiled my kernel
> with agp support and have added /dev/agpgart. Here is the output of my X
> log.

I've got the same sort of system (GX115/i815), which runs XFree86-4.0.3 just
fine. However,

[snip]

> compiled for 4.0.3, module version = 0.1.0
> ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3
> Symbol xf86SetDDCproperties from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/cirrus_laguna.o is unresolved!
> Symbol xf86Int10AllocPages from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.o is unresolved!

[more unresolved symbol errors snipped]

this looks like something went wrong with your installation, because
these modules should be updated along with the rest of XFree.
Are you sure you installed the port correctly?

Another possibility:

> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Your cpu/ram is getting too hot, or has just plain broken down. However
I suspect the first.

Try to reinstall the port/package, and see if that helps.

--Stijn

--
Tact, n.:
	The unsaid part of what you're thinking.