Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:21:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI IRQ mappings

> On 21-Dec-98 Mike Smith wrote:
> > > so the only way to change IRQ's is to shuffle cards in the machine. Is
> > > there a better way? :)
> >  Can you define "broken" in a useful fashion?
> Doesn't work/crashes machine. The network cards don't appear to like sharing IRQ's :(
> (Although its a little hard to say what causes it)

Bleagh.  Our IRQ sharing is supposed to work; is this a hardware-level
problem (does it work under Windows)?

> >  Windows 9[58] take it upon themselves to manage resource allocation,
> >  and they do this using int 1a functions 0xb10e and 0xb10f (get IRQ
> >  routing information, set PCI IRQ).  You also have to update the config
> >  register on the PCI device.
> I see.. I thought it was device independat (ie based on the PCI chipset)

That's device dependant, and yes, it is, which is why you have to use
the BIOS (or have drivers for every motherboard chipset in the OS,
which would suck).  (I should have pointed out that there are different
interrupt vectors for PCI 2.1-compliant functions.)

> This is a VM86 thing then? :)

That's the easiest way to do it.  I get the impression that you should
be able to call the PCI BIOS from 32-bit mode as well, but I don't have
the documentation to hand.

It sounds to me like you have a BIOS misconfiguration or bug there; if
the crash happens under "other" operating systems (eg. NT, which is
more like us in that I think it trusts the BIOS to get it right) then
you might be able to get an update out of the board vendor.