Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:16:34 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, haro@kgt.co.jp
Subject:   Re: iwi0 "need multicast update callback"

Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:09 AM,  <haro@kgt.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> After updating my pc today, I'm getting following message on the console.
>> As it seems to be working ok, but is there any way to get rid of it?
>>
>>   iwi0: need multicast update callback
>>

> I noticed this with the ndis driver also. I searched the code and
> found that this is coming from the null_update_mcast function in
> /sys/net80211/ieee802.c
>
> To get rid of this notification will require updating the iwi and ndis
> drivers to seperate multicast update and promisc update into seperate
> functions:
>
> ic->ic_update_mcast = null_update_mcast;
> ic->ic_update_promisc = null_update_promisc;
> :
> /*
>  * Synchronize flag bit state in the parent ifnet structure
>  * according to the state of all vap ifnet's.  This is used,
>  * for example, to handle IFF_PROMISC and IFF_ALLMULTI.
>  */
> void
> ieee80211_syncifflag_locked(struct ieee80211com *ic, int flag)
>
> This is to allow  the ieee80211_syncifflag_locked function to update
> the parent ifnet structure.
>
> Search the other wireless drivers (i.e ath) on how the conversion was made.

These messages are a reminder to fill in missing functionality and can
be somewhat ignored.  It may be possible to have the default mcast
filter handler mark the ALLMULTI flag and fallback to the 802.3 layer
for multicast filtering but I wasn't convinced that worked right so left
the printf reminder.

Of course the right solution is to push the mcast address list to the
device.

    Sam