Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 12:30:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        rob <europax@home.com>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Synaptics touchpad config program\ Python hacking

There were PS/2 versions of the synaptics, as well as 9-pin serial.  Micro
Innovations put out a keyboard/touchpad that uses the serial version (in
fact the reason I know is I looked at my own MI keyboard...:), however I'm
thinking that most notebooks quite logically used the ps/2 protocol (I
don't think that anyone would've used the term "logically" WRT PS/2 when
the IBM PS/2 came out :).  I'm not a python programmer myself, but I'm
thinking that the method used in communicating with the PS/2 port are
almost exactly the same as the cuaaX ports, so I doubt that this has much
bearing on the final result other than a "heads up" that there is more
than one flavor (as is the case with almost all mice any more).

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, rob wrote:

> I get confused with Linux.  On this machine it is /dev/psm0.  I have to
> kill moused to be able to access it.  Rob.
>
> John Galt wrote:
> >
> > FYI, some synaptics devices (like mine) are on cuaaX (serial)...
> >
> > On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, rob wrote:
> >
> > > First I need to see if I can communicate with /dev/psaux via the Python
> > > console.  I need to start brewing some coffee to build up the
> > > initiative.  So once I start hacking on this, I assume I'm in the
> > > jurisdiction of some other mailing list.  What would be appropriate?
> > > Rob.

> > --
> > When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to
> > tick you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but
> > only 4 muscles to  work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.
> >
> > Who is John galt?  Galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare