Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 22:24:36 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stephane Legrand <stephane@lituus.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Linux is UNIX, and FreeBSD is not?"

> But if Linux finally get this validation, could/should this decision be
> reconsidered ?
>
> And did FreeBSD (stable and/or current) have a good chance to obtain
> this kind of validation in a technical point of view ?

If the validation process is both A) Free and B) does not require a
lot of someone's valuable time, then sure.  Otherwise I think it's a
mark of rapidly diminishing worth, especially now that "Unix" is
actually more of a dirty word in various circles what with Microsoft's
marketing campaign against it (anyone see Dell's anti-Unix advert in
the now-subverted Unix Review magazine?) and the work of various other
NT booster groups.  Those who are left who still believe in Unix, you
find, are people who believe in the Unix *concept* and could truly
give a fig about the brand itself.  The brand was something you used
to use to convince clueless suits, but the clueless suits have already
been told that "Unix is bad" by their various Microsoft yes-men and
yes-magazines and this just isn't as valuable anymore.

- Jordan