Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:38:51 -0700
From:      Joe Bo <ibjoe@home.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is this an attack?

At 10:19 PM 9/21/99 +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>Joe Bo wrote:
>
>> Hi. I'm running FreeBSD v3.2. I have rc.firewall set
>> for "open" and in inetd.conf everything is commented out
>> except ftp, telnet, shell, login, comsat and ntalk. I
>> installed the tcpwrappers port but never configured it.
>
>I'd suggest you close telnet, shell, and login NOW and start using
>ssh. They almost certainly have nothing to do with the "attack" below,
>but it's just a good idea to use ssh rather than telnet/rsh/rlogin
>anyway.
>
>I'll let someone more experienced than I diagnose the real problem you
>had though. :-)
>
>--
>Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
>ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and
>                         |   ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk

Thanks. I have those services open for use on my internal net.
I haven't figured out yet how to disable them on my external
network card and at the same time leave them enabled on my
internal network card. I never telnet/ftp/etc over the public
network to my machine, I do have and use ssh for that.

I did get some interesting responses that weren't cc'd to
the list server. The consensus seems to be yes, it is
an attack, but a weak one using ancient security holes
that were fixed long ago. And I should report the offense
to the adminstrator of attacking network, which seems to
be a university, so probably a student.. Anyway, this is
my call to arms to take action about security!

Thanks to all that responded.

Joe