Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2016 06:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To:        "current" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   new content:  [ buildworld fixed ] now network drops out daily

Sent: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 14:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To: "current" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: Re:  Installworld, BW, IK fixed, here are the in > out

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:29:59 -0700 (PDT), "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebu=

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:37:45 -0700 (PDT), "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@ihere=
> > On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:37:16 -0700 (PDT), "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@ihe=
rebuywisely.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > > On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:28:29 -0400, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org=
> wrote:
> > >=20
function body after function declarator
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Well, it is now r298350 Wed Apr 20...
> > > However several problems
> > >=20
> > > SINGLE-USER BOOT PROBLEMS
> > > 1... usual boot fails, this is single-user adjusted, but I cannot add=
 swap (swapon? swapctl?)
> > > 1a...  the last time, it was fixed with using the old /kernel ...=20
> > >=20
> > > multi-user boot problems
> > >=20
> > > 2... the last usual boot dumped with vm_pager or something,  verbose =
boot times out with xpt_config not completing.
> > > 2a.... could be a wrong setting is loader.conf, the nvidia.ko not yet=
 updated (which it now is ) for the latter
> > >   case I have yet to reboot to test
> > >   2b...   Reboot to test takes longer, /rescue/mount each filesystem =
individually...=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > As one might surmise, I'd rather see buildworld made more foolproof t=
han other recent improvements=20
> > > (pkg, zfs, ...)
> >=20
> > From backup, I have r288246 kernel and nvidia.ko  (v11)
> > from source, I have world and all except those TWO files at r298350 )(v=
11), nvidia (newer) won't load with older kernel
> > A few at-boot scripts no longer work as expected... but no other major =
problems (swap is present again)
> > (multi-user boot works)=20
> >=20
> > Best practice maybe to update the kernel?  It is a custom one from way =
back in 2004 initially
> > without sound drivers and without debug symbols...  and many esoteric l=
ines added which I cobbled
> > together at first then changed per diffs of GENERIC over the years...
> >=20
> > Thanks for any known methods
> >=20
> > J. Bouquet
rg"
>=20
>=20
> Updated to a slightly-less-than-full GENERIC.  Still dumped core.  Moved =
loader.conf out of
> the way, works fine.  What will take some time now is moving loader.conf =
back piece by piece
> [until/if there is/ever was a utility to do it for us... ] to find the pr=
oblematic line or two, then
> resume testing of the install of the custom kernel that also is 'fail' st=
atus at this point... unless/until
> I decide to also test it, THEN resume the loader.conf line-by-line back i=
n...
>=20
> tl;dr   loader.conf problematic line and maybe an additional unknown in e=
ither kernel text file.

Half of loader.conf removed. (as below). Custom kernel restored and working.
# out snd_pcm_load=3D"YES"
# out snd_acm_load=3D"YES"
# out kern.msgbufsize=3D"130000"
# out kern.ipc.shmmni=3D"1024"
# out kern.ipc.shmseg=3D"1024"
# out hw.snd.maxautovchans=3D"4"
# out hw.snd.targetirqrate=3D"36"=20=20=20=20
# out hint.pcm.0.buffersize=3D"65536"=20
# out hw.snd.verbose=3D"3"
# out kern.ipc.semmns=3D"240"
# out kern.ipc.semume=3D"40"
# out kern.ipc.semmnu=3D"120"
# out vfs.read_max=3D"128"=20=20=20=20
# out kern.randompid=3D"1"
# out kern.ipc.shmmax=3D"67108864"=20
# out kern.ipc.shmall=3D"32768"
# out vm.kmem_size=3D"700M"=20=20=20=20
# out vm.kmem_size_max=3D"700M"=20=20
# out vfs.zfs.arc_max=3D"250M"
# out kern.sched.preempt_thresh=3D"224"
# out vfs.usermount=3D"1"=20=20=20
# out kern.geom.part.check_integrity=3D"0"=20=20
# out vm.overcommit=3D"1"
# out kern.maxfilesperproc=3D"65536"
# out kern.ipc.somaxconn=3D"1024"
# out kern.ipc.nmbclusters=3D"81920"
# out kern.fallback_elf_brand=3D"3"
# out vfs.write_behind=3D"0"

Quite a lot, as one may see. There is an equal amount non-kern (net...) rem=
aining in.
Perchance someone sees an obvious problem in a value, and/or is an expert i=
n=20
most of them and knows which can be safely restored for furtther testing, a=
nd/or
which are most useful in a FreeBSD system.

Thanks.
OTOH this may help others if they also encounter the same problem, and coul=
d be
included in a future wiki or UPDATING or 'man sysctl' type file somewhere...