Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:26:16 -0500
From:      "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>
To:        "'Marco Greene'" <mwegreene@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Patches &Upgrades

> I have tried:
> cvsup...make buildworld...make installworld.  Took a long=20
> time but it seemed=20
> to work...however, when I rebooted, still said 4.2...I was=20
> expecting 4.8. =20
> How can you confirm current version of FreeBSD.  Shouldn't it say 4.8?

Everyone here knows that I'm no expert on anything, but I bet you're not
using RELENG_4_8 in your cvsupfile.
Here's mine:

*default  host=3Dcvsup11.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=3D/usr
*default  prefix=3D/usr
*default  release=3Dcvs
*default  tag=3DRELENG_4_8
*default  delete use-rel-suffix

src-all
*default tag=3D.
ports-all
doc-all

> Now about patches...
> You don't seem to download patches the way you do for Solaris=20
> or AIX.  It=20
> looks like you have to do the cvsup...make buildworld and=20
> make installworld=20
> thing. This seems like a risky way to do patch installs.  Are there=20
> pre-packaged binary patches available and if so what is the patching=20
> mechanism that should be used.

If you'll subscribe to freebsd-announce (I think), you'll get
announcments of patches along with instructions on how to install them.
I could be wrong on the proper mailing list.  Check
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo