Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:42:57 -0800
From:      "Noah" <admin2@enabled.com>
To:        Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pure-ftpd with SFTP and PureDB Authentication (fwd)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:25:28 +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote
> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 01:40:06PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> >

> > FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE
> > pure-ftpd version 1.0.18
> >
> > I am unable to login via SFTP using accounts that exist in the PureDB.
> > The password is denied according to the client and there are no log
> > messages collected in the server's log files.
> >
> > When I set the server's TLS option to disable SSL/TLS encryption layer
> > ( TLS 0 ) - I  am able to log in with clear text passwords to accounts
> > located in the PureDB.
> >
> > I have PureDB authentication method uncommented in the  pure-ftpd.conf
> > configuration file - attached below.
> >
> > so what am I doing wrong.  how can I have SSL/TLS forced logins and allow
> > those with PureDB accounts to get authenticated please?
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > noah
>
> sftp connects to sshd, not ftpd.  So use ssh-login/pw for encrypted
> logins and sessions.

Okay thanks for letting me know.  I am trying to allow only secure FTP logins
but dont want general accounts for each user.  it would be nice to have
accounts that only have FTP access and access to specific directories.  can
you suggest a way that I can do this while still only allowing SFTP connections?

cheers,

Noah