Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:10:15 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless lans with multiple accesspoints

Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> probably said:
> This is simply not true.

Oh, I'm lying now, huh ?

> If any equipment running full-duplex EVER reports a collision it is
> BADLY broken. This is cast in stone and central to the full-duplex
> spec. I have LOTS of switches and hundreds of nodes and have never
> seen a collision on an interface that was running full-duplex.

You havn't seen it all. I've seen machines report collisions on
100/fdx interfaces, especially when the far end has mis-negotiated
(or is incorrectly hardcoded) duplex but the collision reports are
still on the fdx end.

I don't care if you believe me or not, and this is no longer
applicable to -mobile, but I and a few other long term professional
sysadmins I just asked have all seen this.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu