Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 01:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Card to use.

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> It's better to ask questions like this on -hardware rather than -hackers.
>
> David E. Cross stands accused of saying:
> > I am looking to pick up a SCSI 3 Ultrawide card.  I was looking at the
> > Adaptec 2940 Ultrawide.  Is there a better card to get, or one that has
> > better support within the FreeBSD comunity?
>
> The Adaptec is about as good as they get, and the support is generally
> very good (although the driver does go through patches of instability
> when Adaptec make changes to their range or programming data).
>
> An alternative to be considered seriously is any card based on the NCR
> 875 chip; see http://www.tekram.com for one such device.  These cards
> are _very_ well supported by FreeBSD, and the driver has been stable
> for a long time now.
>
> > David Cross
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

would have made this suggestion myself, however I don't believe that
the NCR driver is doing Ultra-Wide transactions yet is it?  The probe of
my IBM Ultrastar 2ES Ultra-Wide drive (included below) indicates that
I am not getting these types of transfers with my 2.2.2 (from the CD)
system.  Thus I didn't suggest 875 based cards since the request asked
for Ultrawide cards and though the my Tekram 390F is indeed an ultrawide
875 based card which I am QUITE hapy with, it is not doing Ultrawide
transactions.

Perhaps this is not the case with newer source(I don't know) but people
should be aware of this before purchase.

(ncr0:0:0): "IBM DCAS-32160W   !# S63A" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ncr0:0:0): Direct-Access
sd0(ncr0:0:0): WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabled
sd0(ncr0:0:0): 20.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 15)
2063MB (4226725 512 byte sectors)
sd0(ncr0:0:0): with 8188 cyls, 3 heads, and an average 172 sectors/track

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
<A HREF="http://www.glue.umd.edu/~crb">My home page</A>