Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:38:49 +0000
From:      "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for PC based logic analyzer / grabbers?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 09:38:39AM +0100, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good, inexpensive source for PC-based logic analyzers?
>
> Don't need full PCI capture, full state analysis, or anything like that:
> being able to look at peripheral buses, e.g. a CFI flash parallel bus, LPC,
> ISA, i2c, and/or 10/100Mbit MDIO interfaces would be most useful.
>
> This guy has covered some of the grabber bases, however being able to get
> at really small arbitrary layouts e.g. with miniature pogo pins would be
> even better:
>    http://www.knjn.com/ShopCablesProbing.html
>
> I see a lot of Chinese USB2 based stuff popping up on eBay. Trouble is of
> course, they require Windows, and they don't have grabbers I can easily
> attach to hardware with the probe cables.
>
> Trouble with MiniLA is, whilst the designs are public, no one seems to be
> manufacturing them. I found Tony Bybell, the maintainer of GTKWave, is
> responsive and helpful to queries.

My needs are exactly the same.

So I'm willing to see any recommendations as a responses to your mail.

If any of you have any expirience with PC-based PCI/USB oscilloscopes which are
student-affordable, please share as well. Ideally, it would be a hardware being
able to measure signals up to 50-60Mhz.

I did however a bit of Googling and this was one of the most interesting
devices:

	http://www.pctestinstruments.com/

Unfortunately, this product works only under Windows and the company's response
about any kind of support for POSIX-compliant systems was *very* strong "NO".
They claimed they have several clients working with their product under Wine and
VMWare.

--
Wojciech A. Koszek
wkoszek@FreeBSD.org