Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:37:09 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, nate@mt.sri.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, mike@smith.net.au, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * No, you forget, there's 2 reasons to have things in /.  One, they're
>  * needed for boot.  Two, they qualify as emergency repair tools.
>  * Diskalbel falls into the 2nd category (note I agree with Nate's original
>  * position here).
>
> And the bootblocks might be needed for emergency repair.  Consider, if
> you have a disk that's failing all over the place, you managed to boot
> single-user from it (or booted from a floppy) and mounted root, you
> now need to somehow set up a bootable FreeBSD installation on your
> second hard drive.  You are toast if the bootblocks are in the broken
> /usr.

Mind if I ask a question?  What is going to get put on this bootable
installation on the second disk if you can't mount /usr?  You're going to
have a pretty rotten time trying to use the new disk when /usr is empty.

If your source (and objects) are (were) in /usr/src and /usr/obj, then
you're still cactus because you can't rebuild /usr on the new disk.

If they were on /home/src or something like that and you can still mount
/home, then you can use disklabel to install the bootblocks from
/home/obj/where/ever.

Anyway, I find the easiest way of preparing and partitioning new disks is
to use a sysinstall floppy. :-)

Somebody else talked about the same argument applying to /sbin/disklabel
vs. /usr/sbin/disklabel.  That is a different situation, disklabel belongs
in / because it's purpose is partition editing - bootblock installation is
a convenient add-on, not it's sole purpose.

My original complaint was about the (apparent) suggestion that /usr/mdec
was going away and the contents moved to /boot.  We presently have a heap
of crud installed into /usr/mdec, which I object to installing on /.  Since
it looks like what is actually proposed is that the stuff that presently
goes into /usr/mdec is going away and the present /boot/boot{0,1,2} that
is already in /boot will stay - I can live with that.

What about disklabel though?  It's presently got rules for generating boot
names from the prefixes of the devices.  ie: a boot1 for fd0 comes from "/
usr/mdec/fdboot", while boot2 comes from /usr/mdec/bootfd.  This allows
implied (without disktab) support for having different bootcode on
different devices.  Are we talking about changing this so that
#ifdef i386
  defboot1 = "/boot/boot1";
  defboot2 = "/boot/boot2";
#endif
#ifdef alpha
  defboot1 = "/boot/boot1";
  defboot2 = NULL;	/* alpha has only one boot block set */
#endif
?  Of course this would be overrideable by disktab and the command line,
but I want to make sure we're not talking about a symlink tree in /boot..

> Satoshi

Cheers,
-Peter