Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:23:30 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   I think I wounded by Prism card

I have an IBM ThinkPad T30 running CURRENT as of 12/9/03. On that day I
also updated the firmware on my WiFi card from 1.3.6 to 1.4.9 and my
troubles began. My wireless card starts and associated normally and runs
fine until I start a large transfer (such as an scp of a file of a MB or
so). Then I get the dreaded:
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd -x010b; event status 0x8000
wi0: xmit failed
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 151/0
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
wi0: device timeout

At this point the card is dead and I have only been able to recover by
rebooting the system. I will try backing out the recent changes to if_wi
and rebuild the module ASAP, but I only have wireless available at home,
so that won't be until tonight.

First, any idea as to whether the recent fixes to wi to correct timeouts
in old firmware versions might have caused this? Or is it a problem with
1.4 firmware? If it is the firmware, is there any place to find the old
firmware to back it off?

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xf8000000-0xf8000fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci2
wi0: 802.11 address 00:05:3c:02:43:2d
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.1.0), Station (1.4.9)
wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)