Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 11:41:03 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HostAP mode ROCKS!!! ...and a small suggestion

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:16:30AM -0700, Nick Sayer wrote:
> I'd like an explanation, if I may, of what the 'authmode' setting in=20
> ifconfig does. I can't really see any effect.

Last I checked, nothing with wi cards.  Basicly, it's a rather broken
method of allowing APs and hosts to authenticate.  Just about everything
uses Open which means the AP just accepts everyone.  A few things
use Shared which use some really braindead shared secret system which
according to the Cisco AP docs, exposes the secret on the wire rendering
it worthless.

-- Brooks

--=20

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga