Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:49:34 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1176144974.04cb97@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote printing question

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:56:13PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I have a someone who wants to have a remote printer without using a
> server at the printing location. Is it possible to do;
>=20
> DSL Line->Modem -> router -> printer
>               -----------------
>               |               |
>            laptop           laptop      =20

In this case you can just print to the printers IP address.=20

What is running the firewall? The DSL modem?
           =20
> Their sales oriented operation is mostly take-away laptops, but they
> want the printing to come into the office during their absence but=20

Unless the modem can do NAT and has a firewall, I'd definitely put a
server between the modem and the router. That way you can handle
printing with CUPS, firewall with pf, mail, backups etc.

Otherwise you'll have to tell the modem to do NAT, and let traffic from
the laptops through while blocking unwanted stuff. It depends on the
router if the built-in software is up to that, and if you trust it for that.

Roland
--=20

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU--