Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:12:31 +0000 ()
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
To:        Igor Vinokurov <igor@cs.ibank.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/chat don't work?

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Igor Vinokurov wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I have problem :)
>
>   Under 2.1R I use slattach with /usr/bin/chat as modem dialer (which
>   send to modem ATZ/ATDT/etc) and enjoying... But I install new 960606
>   SNAP and chat does't work :(
>
>   Any changes in kernel/etc? Can I continue use chat for this task or
>   you suggest another program? Anyway, any ideas?
>
> P.S: Sorry for my English :(

I use chat also on my 2.1 and now on 2.2 SNAP 960105 version.

I use pppd for connections and see that the system does not start chat
when cannot resolv ip address. Solution:

1) modify /etc/host.conf to read /etc/hosts first and after, bind.
2) if you are running named, it cannot find the root name server "."
3) check if your system can find the default gateway "ping defaultgateway".

By the time I fixed this, My slip/ppp/chat start to working ok.

Your English is very good.. Don't be shy!!