Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 00:09:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steven Jorgensen <steve@igor.haunt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pcmcia networking strangeness

	Hello,

	I'm trying to get FreeBSD 2.2.2 working on a Micron TransPort Xpe
	laptop with a 3com pcmcia ether link III network card.  I've
	had several problems, but I'm getting stuck on one nasty problem.
	First, here what I did to get it working:

	1. tried zp0 in kernel by itself without crd0, and that didn't work
	   at all.  I just get errors about it can't find zp0 at 0x240.

	2. added an ep0 to my kernel and enabled crd0 and the pcic0 and pcic1
	   devices so that it can be enabled later by the pccard daemon

	3. modified the rc.conf to set the correct ifconfig options
	   for ep0 when the card is dynamically loaded pccardd

	4. fixed pccard_ether to load rc.conf instead of the outdated
	   sysconfig file.

	5. configured rc.conf both with and without routers in order
	   to try to figure out problems.

	The problem I'm seeing is that it packets leaving the
	laptop get lost (i.e. ping looses all packets it sends) and
	if the laptop is pinging, then no other machine on the
	net can ping the laptop.  Other machines on my net can
	ping the laptop, but the response is VERY slow, every
	other packet seems to take at least 1500ms, and the
	in betwen "fast" packets are at least 100ms.  Other
	machines on my net see an average of 1 to 2 ms per packet
	on ping.

	I'm not sure what else to try, it looks like the networking
	is misconfigured in some way, but I can't figure out how.
	ifconfig and netstat report similar data on the laptop
	to other machines on my net that are working fine, so
	I'm at a lose for an explaination.. If anyone can
	help, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks in advance
	if you do!

					Steve
Steven Jorgensen			steve@haunt.com