Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 13:48:36 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        brian@FreeBSD.org, jonny@jonny.eng.br, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: uk-*, british-*, br-*

Thus spake Satoshi Asami (asami@cs.berkeley.edu):

> british-ispell -> en_GB-ispell

no problem.

> It looks rather awkward since, for instance, "en_US-zipcodes" means
> "this is a list of zipcodes for US English" when it should just say
> "... for US".  If you have any good ideas, please let me know.

> P.S. We can't just use "US-zipcodes" and such, we are planning to
>      convert all package names to lowercase when we go to multi-level
>      categories.

hmmm. doesn't the xx_XX express language specific stuff, as used e.g.
for the character sets?

Maybe we should look about the toplevel-domains, which are the
official ISO country codes, and there forethese should become
uk-zipcodes and us-zipcodes).

Why couldn't we use these?

The _language_-specific ports should then be moved to de_DE-ispell or
jp_JP-emacs (what is the Japanese language code?) or something like that.

In my opinion, this makes more sense.

Alex

--
I need a new ~/.sig.