Date:      Wed, 11 May 2011 15:14:28 +0600
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <eugene@zhegan.in>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   a bunch of dumb questions about freebsd installing

Hi.

I have an IBM xSeries server, its ip-kvm and different FreeBSD images.
The goal is to perform a remote installation of FreeBSD using server
ip-kvm and USB devices it emulates.
I can perform a non-remote installation in a wariety of ways but this
post is about a remote one.

1) Since USB gives an cd(4) device, it's possible to boot from
installation media, but impossible to use it for installation, because
sysinstall wants acd0. Is there any way ? I cannot figure one, except
using NFS or FTP install, which is not quite acceptable. Pure fixit
sheel seems to be missing everything needed, at least I didn't succeeded
at guessing where is mount for cd9660 and ls.

2) I downloaded a usb-key media, which is an .img file. This question
does sound silly, and it really makes me look like a newbie and
firsttimer (which, by the way, I am not, I'm installing FreeBSD for the
second time :)) - but - anyway - what is exactly this .img and what is
exactly an USB-key ? I used to think that, aside from it's internal
design, this is the same think, but it appears that I'm wrong. Google
didn't help much.

3) Why dd, reading an .img file and writing it to some /dev/da0 (as it's
explained in handbook), which means it's not neither sliced nor
partitioned (it also means that both loaders are presemt in image),
makes a bootable media, and .img itself is not, because giving an .img
file directly to the ip-kvm (and telling server to boot from it)
produces 'No operating system installed' message ? Is there a way to
produce a bootable image from such .img, without actual writing to the
physical media, or at least using md(4) ?

Thanks.
Eugene.