Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 09:12:24 GMT
From:      n9842643@cc.wwu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pop3/smtp question

Hello.   I'm a beginner with FreeBSD and I'm just trying to set up
email for my POP3 account.  The POP3 account has been issued
by my provider (in my case Western Washington University, i'm a
college student), and has obviously been set up for Windows95
users only.

When I set up my PPP configuration files, I simply used the name
inferno.cc.wwu.edu for the name of my computer, where the inferno
somthing I just made up and the cc.wwu.edu was the domain name
on my email address.

I was able to get POP3 to grab my messages only if I used the
popclient command and I was logged in as a user resembling my
mail server login name (i.e. I had to set up a n9842643 account on
my system to get mail from the smtp server since it wouldn't work
under the root username).

When I try to send mail, however, I get the mail back with the message
below when I tried to mail napalm@halcyon.com   I'm not sure if I
should rename my domain name in all my namedb config files or i'm just
missing somthing.  Any help would be extremely appreciated since I am
very sick of using this stupid windows mail program.  Can anyone help?