Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:54:30 +0200
From:      Buki <dev@null.cz>
To:        Unix Newbie <unix_newbie@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing ftpd's anonymous root directory

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 11:36:11PM -0800, Unix Newbie wrote:

>  Hello again,
>
>     I have yet another question for you. I have been trying to change
> the root directory for anonymous logins with the ftpd server.  I have
> run into difficulties though because I can't seem to find the config
> file. I have changed the directorys in the passwd file and the
> master.passwd file in the etc directory and grep doesn't show anything
> else that has anything to do with ftp login in the /etc folder. I read
> the man page and it said something about a ftpchroot file that could be
> created, however, that seemed to require users have a password, which I
> would like to avoid. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much on
> this with google or the freebsd site.

man ftpd

     6.   If the user name is ``anonymous'' or ``ftp'', an anonymous ftp
          account must be present in the password file (user ``ftp'').
          In this case the user is allowed to log in by specifying any
          password (by convention an email address for the user should
          be used as the password).  When the -S option is set, all
          transfers are logged as well.

In the last case, ftpd takes special measures to restrict the client's
access privileges.  The server performs a chroot(2) to the home directory
of the ``ftp'' user. ...etc...

so anonymous user chroots to directory specified as home directory of user
'ftp' in /etc/passwd (you might want to change it via 'vipw' as this command
automaticaly rebuilds master.passwd

Buki

>  The long short of it is, where do I make that change? I accidently
> specified the wrong dir when I set up the system and I just want to fix
> that.
>

>    As always, docs, urls, pretty much anything will get me on my way!
> Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!
>

>    Terry.

PGP public key: http://dev.null.cz/buki.asc

		/"\
		\ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign