Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:24:14 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choosing to install turns off laptop. HD is untouched.

Fabian Anklam writes:

> We recently had a Proliant DL380 for testing, seemed like solid
> hardware, literally, the server management CD for preparing the system
> for different flavors of OSes just worked as it was supposed to ...

What preparation is required?  Can't you just wipe the disk and install
what you want, or has HP/Compaq screwed around with the hardware so much
that this is no longer possible?

Do they provide for FreeBSD in their "preparations"?

> The usual (old) Compaq problems reside in the system partion (or
> rather lack thereof) and for the Desktops in the less than mediocre
> BIOS. For the older PL servers a server management boot CD is usually
> all you need to get whatever you want running, for the Desktops it
> usually involves hunting down some firmware upgrades and boot disks to
> restore the system partition, nothing out of the ordinary.

So they are just as bad as they used to be.  Compaq's own garbage on
their machines has always been a support headache.  They just can't
leave things alone.

> My FreeBSD box runs on a Deskpro EP 400 desktop coupled with a
> SMART2/SL RAID controller ripped out of a PL1600 - you can love or
> hate compaq, but their hardware was rock-solid.

The hardware itself has had a very good reputation.  I'm happy to hear
that this is still the case (and unhappy to hear that they still can't
keep their hands out of it).

--
Anthony